Social Media Defamation
What is internet defamation?
Internet defamation (internet libel, cyber slander) involves false statements or assertions about a person or a business, “published” to others through a webpage, and reputational damage to a person or business. It refers to a false and unprivileged statement of facts that are harmful to someone’s reputation. It is published “with fault,” meaning as a result of negligence or malice.
Internet defamation is a wider term and similar to online defamation and social media defamation.
To address the issue of defamation, an Internet Defamation Investigation is required.
Main categories of defamation:
- libel, or written defamation (potentially defamatory statement is made online or through social media, involving the written (or “posted”) word, is considered libel.
- slander, or verbal defamation (spoken word)
Examples of internet defamation or cyber libel
- false or misleading comments or statements about a business on websites listing companies
- anonymous persons posting false information about your company on an internet forum or message board
- dammaging or untrue comments or posts, statuses on social media platforms & online social networks such as Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, Youtube, Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat, Pinterest etc.
- setting up fake and other profiles on social media channels to harass individuals, organizations or businesses
- making fake reviews on review websites
- false shaming and blaming posts on whistleblower websites
- publishing unverified, factual incorrect information and sharing incorrect data in news articles and online media
- publishing damaging content on fake news websites – creating fake news
- cyber bullying, harassing, stalking people online via Instant messaging, email or other online means of communication
- cybersquatting – pretending to be someone else by setting up fake profiles or impersonating others
- posting controversial, sometimes outrageous content, with the intend to shock people
- posting racist characterizations and religiously insulting commentary or other content online
- calling people out and calling them insulting names by using derogatory or insulting words
It’s worth noting that the list of bad things that people can do to you online is basically endless, but with the right tools and technology, there are certain countermeasures that can be taken.
Online Defamation Investigation
During our online defamation investigation, we will collect & preserve evidence (screenshots), report the unwanted posts to social media companies, who could decide to remove them.
This investigation opens also opportunities to REdefine & evaluate workplace ethics, SOP, rules & regulations including company policies towards using social media inside the organization. Many times social media attacks on companies are done with the help of insiders, who maybe even put information available on social platforms, without really thinking of the consequences. Rethink how you link to the internet as a whole. We might all be over-exposed.
AR INTELL can Assist with professional advice on taking future legal action against the defaming party, if and when required, without making the situation worse or more damaging.